New Year’s Resolutions for a Safe Home
As you plan your resolutions for 2021, keep home safety top of mind! Often home safety to-dos get lost in the shuffle of everyday life and never end up completed. This January, create a detailed plan to tackle inspections and updates to ensure a safe home for your family. Get out your calendar; it is time to make a plan to keep your home safe in 2021.
- Change air filters. Air filters should typically be changed once every three months. If you have one pet, change the filter every two months, and if you have more than one pet or a family member with allergies, change your air filter every month. Since this is a regular task, make a note in your calendar now to remember to change the air filters on time.
- Check smoke and carbon monoxide detectors. Smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors should be tested every month to ensure they are in good working condition. Unless your detectors have long-life batteries, replace the batteries once or twice a year, which is usually recommended around daylight savings time in the spring and fall.
- Clean your dryer vent. Dryer vent pipes should be cleaned at least once a year for both safety and efficiency purposes. Block off an afternoon to complete this project yourself or make a note to call a professional to clean the vent for you.
- Conduct an electrical audit. Once a year, do a thorough check of all electrical components in your house. Look for damaged wires, check outlets and ensure your breaker panel is free of debris.
- Review your homeowner’s insurance policy. When it comes time to renew your homeowner’s insurance policy, do not just write a check and forget about it. Take the time to read the document and make any changes necessary in your coverage.
- Prepare for emergencies. Update emergency contacts restock your first aid kit and make sure flashlights have working batteries. Do not forget to review and practice your fire escape plan with your family as well.